BookThieving

BookThieving

23-year old history student who really wants a Tardis. Wanna-be/aspiring writer. Reader of books. Wanderer of fantastical realms. And other doses of common craziness.

Greek and Roman Political Ideas: A Pelican Introduction (Pelican Books)
Melissa Lane
An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth
Chris Hadfield
Haiku
Peter Washington
The Wanderer: Elegies, Epics, Riddles (Legends from the Ancient North)
Michael Alexander
Ruth Rendell, Arthur Conan Doyle
A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bill Bryson

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch - Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman Apocalypse is nigh. And it’s going to be hilarious.

Good Omens combines the talents of Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman into a fun take on the apocalyptic scenario. The plot is quite straightforward and linear but at times it diverts for a random joke or two. Those scenes were amusing but they did not contribute much to the story’s progress which might be a bother if (like me) you have certain favourite characters you want to get back to. Unfortunately Gaiman and Pratchett make us spend most of the first third of the book with Aziraphale and Crowley (who are my favourites) and then suddenly switch to a variety of other characters (such as: the Anti-Christ and his friends, the four horseman of the apocalypse, the descendant of Agnes Nutter, witch hunters and various others) for a long stretch, some of which I enjoyed less than others. They are still fun to read, but I think it is likely that each reader will develop his or her preferences as to which story line he/she likes to follow better than others.

Having read at least two or more books of both authors, I can say the writing styles mesh well together, I could not find any inconsistencies or jumpy paragraphs in which style suddenly changes. I believe I did hear Pratchett’s voice a lot more than Gaiman’s in certain passages though.

Yet even though I might have this small gripe with the book: this is one of those rare books where I laughed out loud while reading it. The characters, scenarios and jokes are consistently funny and if you like Terry Pratchett humour (I cannot comment on Neil Gaiman’s humorous writing, I have not encountered it so far) you probably will like them too. Also the typical cast and events of apocalypse are cleverly twisted and subverted aiding the overall humour of the story.

Overall this is a simple, fun and quick read with memorable characters and good humorous writing and a good story. Not ineffably good, but very solid.